How this functionality is suppose to work ?

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:19 AM

Hi,

I followed the instructions provided in the document attached with this functionality but could not figure out how it works,Pls provide some screen shots to help me see the results of the functionality.

Thanks & Regards

Hemant

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM

I know!

I couldnt make the MetaTagsGenerator to work either :(

Im lost between the deployment and the activation of the feature ... I cant find it!

Please provide more information about it ... thanks!

Saludos! from Mexico

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I could deploy but not activate this feature, doesn't even show up in the Site Collections feature list.

what little of the documentation there is seems flawed and sometimes refers to other solutions or files.

I would avoid, though it's a shame as it seems to make sense and would be good if it worked.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I've now got it working, after following the examples in the Word Document but correcting some of the mistakes like :

<METAGen:METATagsGenerator runat=server></METAGen:METATagsGenerator> and not <METAGen:METATagsGenerator runat=server></mmm:METATagsGenerator>

Also I used the wsp file from the main download and ignored the instruction to build one as in the Word Document, and all the other config stuff that goes with it, some of which seems to relate to another wsp. For example it refers to activating another wsp not MetaTagGenerator.

The main steps are (overview)

Install wsp file and deploy
Configure SP site with site columns
Use SP Designer to add in the control and an area for users to specify meta fields

Instructions (more detail)

Here are the bits to use in a better order (with corrections)

To install the solution package you must use the stsadm.exe program. From the command line execute:

Stsadm -o addsolution -filename c:\sharepoint\metatag\METATagsGenerator.wsp   -  (replace c:\sharepoint\metatag\ with your path to where you've saved the wsp file)

Now open the SharePoint Central Administration Page.

Go to Operations\Solution Management. Find the meta tag wsp and deploy it.

Go to the site settings of your sharepoint site, and choose Site Columns, choose to create a new site column

I just wanted keywords and add it to a group called META. I also made a description column too in META.

I then added the fields to an Article Page content type in 'site content types' from site settings.

Then in Sharepoint Designer, I opened the articleLeft.aspx  page layout, added an editable region, and dragged in the page fields 'keywords' and any other ones you need.

then at the top of the page I added - 

<%@ Register TagPrefix="METAGen" Namespace="METATagsGenerator" Assembly="METATagsGenerator, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a829a4422cc33d65" %>

and then as it says in the word doc (without mistakes) added this in too:

<asp:Content ContentPlaceholderID="PlaceHolderAdditionalPageHead" runat="server">

<METAGen:METATagsGenerator runat=server></METAGen:METATagsGenerator>

</asp:Content>

Now your articleLeft page when edited will have the meta fields for users to edit with keywords etc, and the source markup will have Meta tags for your fields in the head section.

H.T.H (I think those are the basic steps)